December 1, 2019
Most people today believe life’s real pleasure is in experiencing new things. That’s one of the reasons why many choose to leave the comfort of their home, look for cheap deals, and explore the world. Modern technology has made this much easier as prospective travelers can browse through multiple websites to find the cheapest airfares and accommodation options. One of the most popular accommodation options today is Airbnb.
This business has proven to be a disruptive force and many seasoned travelers swear by it. But is Arbnb truly a good alternative? This article provides a concise guide to help travelers determine which option is ideal for you:
- Airbnb Vs. Hotels A Price Comparison
Travelers usually want to spend as little money as possible without compromising experience or safety. They’re drawn to Airbnb because it provides a safe and comfortable place to live while being affordable. But is there really a big price difference between the two options? Here’s a look at some of the price difference according to a survey conducted by Forbes and Statista:
- New York City – The average cost of hotel rooms is around $300 per night and Airbnb is around $190 per night.
- Sydney –The hotel rooms cost$240 per night and Airbnb cost approximately $190 per night.
- Tokyo – Hotel rooms for around$220 per night and Airbnb for $90 per night.
- London – Hotel rooms are at$220 per night and Airbnb rooms are $180 per night.
This gives a clear indication that costs vary sharply, but it’s a good idea to keep in mind that hotels offer more than just a comfortable place to stay. They also offer service, assistance, and advice.
- Airbnb Vs Hotel Statistics
Many experts argue that comparing hotels to Airbnb accommodation is like comparing apples to oranges because both offer different kinds of services. While the latter has proven to be disruptive, it doesn’t really offer a clear replacement to hotels for many travelers. Here are some statistics to take note:
- Airbnb has over 3 million lodgings listed and the biggest hotel chain Marriot International has 1.1 million. But as Airbnb’s aren’t always available and are personal rental properties, only around 1 million is most available.
- Hotels have an average occupancy of around 65% to 85% while Airbnb has an average occupancy of 42% to 52%.
There has been some growth since these statistics were measured, but hotels are still in the lead when it comes to demand and supply. There isn’t too much competition between the Airbnb vs. hotel industry yet.
- Pros And Cons Of Hotels Vs Airbnb
Both options have their advantages and disadvantages, which is one of the reasons why travelers prefer hotels in some circumstances and Airbnbs in others. Here’s a look at both alternatives:
Why Hotels Are Better Than Airbnb?
- You have access to a wide range of amenities.
- Hotels are centrally located near transport hubs and popular tourist sites.
- Travelers with children claim hotels are more convenient.
- Hotels offer familiar and guaranteed services so travelers know exactly what to expect when they stay in such establishments.
- Hotels rarely have any hidden fees but many Airbnb properties have them and travelers must look out for them.
Why Airbnb Over Hotels?
- Airbnbs are ideal for large groups because travelers can rent out an entire home at an affordable rate.
- These rooms offer better privacy and more freedom of movement as they are a home away from home.
- They’re a great option for solo travelers looking for intimate local experiences.
- You can find affordable Airbnbs in a wide range of locations.
As you can see, both options have their pros and cons. It is important to consider all the points mentioned above carefully before making a decision.
- Airbnb vs. Hostel
Until Airbnb came into existence, hostels were considered the go-to option for travelers on a budget. Both of these options offer an entirely different experience. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Hostels offer a social atmosphere as you share a dorm room with many other travelers from different locations.
- Large dorms are much cheaper than even the most affordable Airbnb rooms.
- The hive of activity can affect the quality of your sleep. Travelers move in and out of dorms at all hours of the day.
- It’s important to keep your personal possessions secure in hostels because there’s no option to lock the door when you’re out exploring.
- Airbnbs offer more privacy and are ideal for extended stays.
- You have better security and access to amenities like your own kitchen, bathroom, and even Wi-Fi network.
- Local hosts can offer advice on food and local sites to explore.
Hostels and Airbnb are both great options for travelers on a budget or those looking for a unique experience.
If you want more information on these options, there are many Airbnb vs. hotel Reddit threads where travelers share their experiences as well as offer advice. These threads can be a very valuable resource for people using Airbnb for the first time.